Coal Miners MemorialPrint Page
The Coal Miners Memorial commemorates the miners killed in mining operations in the Lithgow region. The memorial consists of statue of coalminer in a strip of garden with two models of coal trucks on either side. Also associated is a brick wall in proximity to the statue with series of plaques listing the names of those died on the western coalfields.
Coal was first mined in the Lithgow Valley in the 1830s. In the 189 mines that have come into and gone out of existence in that time, there have been ninety-two recorded deaths. Between 1884 and 1949. fifty miners were killed and from 1949 to 2001 a further forty-two were killed.
|Address:||Great Western Highway, Quota Park, Lithgow, 2790|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.479595|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Margaret Sherman (statue)|