Jim Comerford Miners Memorial WallPrint Page
The Jim Comerford Miners Memorial Wall commemorates the 1795 miners who were victims of the Northern Districts coalmines.
The Jim Comerford Memorial Wall was constructed in 1995 at a cost of $160,000 as a tribute by the Northern District Branch of the United Mineworkers` to the men and boys who have lost their lives in the mines or on mining leases in the Northern District since 1801. The records show that the youngest was 11-year-old Robert Irving, a driver boy who was killed at the Co-operative Colliery at Plattsburgh on February 16, 1883, when he was "run over by loaded skips". The oldest fatality on record was 73-year-old Frederick Charles Roose, who was killed at Waratah Colliery by a "fall of stone". "The Jim Comerford Memorial Wall was so-named as a tribute to one of the Union`s most respected leaders. Jim passed away on November 3, 2006, at the age of 93.
|Address:||67A Aberdare Road, United Mineworkers Federation, Aberdare, 2325|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.842639|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Carl Merten|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 10th February, 1996|
Remember Before God the Men and Boys Who Gave Their Lives in Northern District Mines
THE JIM COMERFORD
OPENED BY THE
10th FEBRUARY 1996