Miners MemorialPrint Page
The memorial lists the names of twenty miners who died at Captains Flat between 1938 and 1962.
In 1937, Lake George Mines built a 39 kilometre railway to Bungendore and with new drilling techniques and flotation plants reopened the whole area. Once again Captains Flat was successful. By the end of the 1930s it was second-only to Broken Hill as its mines produced vast quantities of gold, silver, lead, zinc (it was the most important of all the minerals being mined), copper and iron pyrites.
By 1962 this flurry of mining was over. The mine had many serious accidents over its period of operation, with men killed and injured. Statistically, one man died for every year the mines were in operation.
|Address:||Foxlow Street, Captains Flat, 2623|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.590917|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.