C Company 2nd InfantryPrint Page
The plaque recognises the efforts of 16 National Servicemen and Citizens Military Forces volunteers that saved lives during the 1955 floods at Dalwood and Singleton.
The men risked their lives crossing flooded rivers to rescue trapped civilians at Dalwood and also helped evacuate people at Singleton. The National Servicemen were with the C Company 2nd Infantry Battalion, based at the Cessnock army training depot at Aberdare under the command of Colonel Jim Hodgson.
On the 23rd February 1955, the Hunter was hit by one of the most memorable disasters in Australian history. After a period of heavy rain across a large area of the Hunter and its surrounding districts, the Hunter River swelled to record heights and flooded the valley. The Hunter floods of 1955 are placed in history with Cyclone Tracy, Granville, Newcastle Earthquake and the 1939 bushfires as being an infamous disaster of the 20th century. A total of 25 lives were lost in the floods, majority of these lives were taken in Maitland and Singleton.
|Address:||Aberdare Road & Pokolbin Street, Veterans Memorial Park, Aberdare, 2325|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.842099|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||25-February-1955|
|Actual Event End Date:||03-March-1955|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2013|
In recognition of Colonel Jim Hodgson and 16 members of the C Company 2nd Infantry, City of Newcastle Battalion, who were based at the Army Depot on Aberdare Road, Cessnock personnel who volunteered from 25 February to 3 March 1955 to assist in the evacuation of Dalwood, saving 19 lives and assisted in the evacuation of inhabitants to Singleton Army Camp and the clean up of the City of Singleton.
[ Names ]