www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Harry Clark FountainPrint Page Print this page

13-September-2017
13-September-2017

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

A fountain commemorates Renmark`s survival of 1956 floods and was erected with a generous donation from Harry Clark, a prominent businessman. The fountain consists of seven steel wine glasses of various heights over the rim of which the water flows onto a bed of rocks.

In August 1956 the Murray River tragically flooded the towns along its winding stream.  A record level was confirmed in Renmark of 30ft 7 3/4 inches and most of the towns people had to be evacuated.

This tragic event which extended over a period of seven months caused much distress for the people who lived along the Murray River. Schools had to be closed, the Renmark Paringa District Hospital evacuated, roads and ferry services cut off and furniture in almost every home was on stilts. Volunteers worked day and night to fight the flooding and the Army was called upon to help. The fight to save the flooding towns was eventually won but not without the loss of several lives.

Location

Address:Ral-Ral & Murray Avenues, Renmark, 5341
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.171653
Long: 140.750579
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Fountain
Monument Theme:Disaster
Sub-Theme:Flood
Approx. Event Start Date:August-1956
Approx. Event End Date:August-1956
Monument Designer:Peter C. Everingham

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1977
Front Inscription

Plaque :

Harry Clark Fountain

Renmark Corporation constructed this fountain in 1977 with the assistance of a generous donation from Harry L. Clark, a local businessman

Design and supervised by Peter C. Everingham, F.R.S.H. A.I.H.S an officer of the Corporation

Plaque :

Corporation of the Town of Renmark

Clark Fountain

This fountain was designed by Peter Everingham.  It was constructed by the Corporation of Renmark with the assistance of a donation from  local businessman, Mr Harry Clark.  The number of stems of the fountain represent each of the major rives comprising the Murray Darling River system.  The decreasing height of these symbolises the passage of water from its source in the sky down through the mountains and finally onto the irrigated pastures.  

The wine glass shape is a reminder of the grape and fruit produced in the area.

The surrounding paving represents an aerial view of the development of the irrigation properties.

Rod Thomas  Mayor
Ian L Burfitt Town Clerk

 

Source: MA,NRUM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design