www.monumentaustralia.org.au

150 Years of Goyder`s LinePrint Page Print this page

02-August-2015
02-August-2015

Photographs supplied by Nic Doncaster
A monument commemorates 150 years of surveying and recognition of Goyder`s Line and also commemorates the pioneers who settled in the district.

The monument consists of four pillars with information signage and a man leading a horse depictng Goyder. The sculpture is keeping with the existing corrugated iron  sculptures in Orroroo and made by artist Dudley Sivior of Renmark. The four pillars were built by local builder, Chet Cox and were unveiled by Chairman Kathie Bowman, Candy Brumpton, 2015 Citizen of the Year, Kate Williams and SA Regional Historian of the Year, John Mannion.

In 1865 Goyder was directed to go north and from his own observations to lay down on the map `the line of demarcation between that portion of the country where the rainfall has extended, and that where the drought prevails`. With a small mounted party he went to Swan Reach on the River Murray and then north-west to Pekina, east to Melrose and returned through Crystal Brook to Adelaide.

A map published in 1866 showed his line of travel with a wing sweeping east from the Murray to the Victorian border and another from Spencer Gulf far to the west. Goyder`s rainfall line was first used for the reassessment of leases and the relief of stricken pastoralists.

Location

Address:Price Maurice Road, 5 kilometres from Orroroo, Orroroo, 5431
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.770595
Long: 138.581858
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Disaster
Sub-Theme:Drought
Approx. Event Start Date:1865
Approx. Event End Date:2015
Monument Designer:Dudley Sivior (sculpture)
Monument Manufacturer:Chet Cox (builder)

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 6th November, 2015
Front Inscription

Plaque:
Commemoration of 150 years of Goyder`s Line

On the 6th November 2015 the Communities of Orroroo, Carrieton and surrounds commemorates the 150 years of surveying and recognition of Goyder`s Line.

The community commemorates those early pioneers who settled in the district, the hardships they endured, the resilience displayed and the legacy upon which the district was settled. The townships of Johnburgh, Belton, Euralia, Morchard, Bendleby, Balck Rock, Walloway, Pekina and Yatina were all settled over the years. While some of these towns still operate, many have diminished as they were not sustainable townships both below and above the line.


This memorial was unveiled by...
John Goyder
Candy Brumpton
Kathie Bowman
Kate Williams

Information has been supplied by local historian John Mannion

District Council Of ORROROO/CARRIETON
Southern Flinders Ranges · Established 1997

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design