First Queensland DerbyPrint Page
Statue of horse and rider commemorate Gayndah as the home of the Queensland Derby which was first run in 1868. "The Hermit" was the winner.
The first Queensland Derby was run at Gayndah at 1868 under the Queensland Jockey Club auspices. The Q.J.C was the premier racing club in the colony and Gayndah in the 1860s was perhaps the chief sporting centre. The Derby was for 50 sovereigns and was won by Mr. W.E. Parry-Okeden's horse "Hermit" and amongst the other starters were the Honourable B.B. Moreton's "The Rake", Gaydon's "Escapado" and "Goshawk."
|Address:||Capper Street (Burnett Highway) & Maltby Place, Gayndah, 4625|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -25.625402|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
GAYNDAH JOCKEY CLUB
GAYNDAH IS THE HOME OF
THE QUEENSLAND DERBY
FIRST RUN IN 1868 OVER
1½ MILES, IT WAS WON BY