www.monumentaustralia.org.au

150th Anniversary of Melbourne Cricket ClubPrint Page Print this page

150th Anniversary of Melbourne Cricket Club : 20-January-2013
150th Anniversary of Melbourne Cricket Club : 20-January-2013

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

The entrance doors to the 1928 Pavillion commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Melbourne Cricket Club.

The principal subjects are Hugh Trumble, Bill Ponsford,  bicycle racing on the arena, the papal visit, MCG in wartime, Ivor Warne-Smith, Betty Cuthbert and Don Bradman, the sporting sections of the MCG and Robert Flower.

The Melbourne Cricket Club (formed in 1838) was given the right to occupy the site of the Melbourne Cricket Ground in September 1853.  The first cricket test match was played there in 1877 between Australia and England. In 1988 the Club celebrated its 150th anniversary. 

 

Location

Address:Brunton Avenue, Melbourne Cricket Ground, East Melbourne, 3002
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.82007
Long: 144.983439
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Sport
Approx. Event Start Date:1838
Approx. Event End Date:1988
Monument Designer:Robert Ingpen
Monument Manufacturer:Lyn Ingoldsby, Bo Jones and Jenda Bucek

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1988
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design