1924 Motorcycle Grand PrixPrint Page
Memorial commemorates the star and finish point of the 1924 Grand Prix. The site is adjacent to the memorial erected at the start of the 1914 Tourist Trophy Race and the 1924 Motor Cycle Grand Prix on Windellama Road.
The 1924 Australian Motor Cycle Grand Prix was the first of its kind in Australia. The triangular circuit extended from the outskirts of Goulburn to Windellama, across to Bungonia and back to the junction of the two roads. It involved four laps of the race circuit.
Motor cycle racing has been a popular sport in Goulburn since the Goulburn Motor Club was formed in 1911. In 1914, Australia's first Tourist Trophy Race was held in the district and, in subsequent years, the Motor Club conducted several Tourist Trophy races.
Although the memorial states that this event was the first of its kind in Australia, in 1914 a motorcycling event was held at Yetholme near Bathurst and billed as "The Grand Prix of Australia". The motor cycle road race was held on Monday, 5th October 1914 and covered a handicapped circuit of over 140 miles. The event was promoted by the New South Wales and Kookaburra Clubs under the auspices of the Auto-Cycle Association of New South Wales. The race was won by E Meller on a Douglas Motorcycle. There were 24 starters in the race. The Sydney Morning Herald 6th October 1914.
|Address:||Mountain Ash & Windellama Roads, Grand Prix Memorial Park , Brisbane Grove, 2580|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.784417|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1924|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1924|