Centenary of Rugby League - New South Wales Leagues ClubPrint Page
The Centenary Plaques program was put in place by the Centenary of Rugby League Committee to commemorate sites of historical significance to Rugby League - such as stadiums, suburban grounds and club formation sites. Nearly every aspect of Australia’s Rugby League landscape is covered by a Centenary Plaque – with plaques dedicated to the commemoration of Indigenous Rugby League, NRL first-grade clubs, foundation clubs, former Premiership clubs, NSW and Queensland Country, and those sites which were host to the foundation of the game itself in Australia.
The plaque itself bears a prominent Centenary logo, the venue name, and a short paragraph of site-specific text on why the venue has been selected as a site of historical significance to Australian Rugby League.
|Address:||165 Phillip Street, NSW Leagues Club, Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.868638|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1908|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2008|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2008|
Centenary of Rugby League
This site is recognised as being of great significance in the history of Australian Rugby League
NSW Leagues Club
The New South Wales Leagues` Club was established in 1914 at 169 Phillip Street. A narrow -fronted three story building served as the headquarters of the rugby league movement until 1918 when the club shifted to its present site. It remained the only leagues club in NSW until the 1950s.
SALUTING THE PAST · CELEBRATING THE PRESENT · INSPIRING THE FUTURE