Centenary of Rugby LeaguePrint Page
The Centenary Plaques Programme was put in place by the Centenary of Rugby League Committee to commemorate sites of historical significance to Rugby League - such as stadiums, suburban grounds and club formation sites. Nearly every aspect of Australia’s Rugby League landscape is covered by a Centenary Plaque – with plaques dedicated to the commemoration of Indigenous Rugby League, National Rugby League (NRL) first-grade clubs, foundation clubs, former Premiership clubs, New South Wales and Queensland Country, and those sites which were host to the foundation of the game itself in Australia.
The plaque itself bears a prominent Centenary logo, the venue name, and a short paragraph of site-specific text on why the venue has been selected as a site of historical significance to Australian Rugby League.
The Western Australia Rugby League was formed in 1948 with Fremantle, Perth, South Perth and Cottesloe as the foundation clubs. In 1950 the Australian Rugby League Board of Control sent ex Kangaroos hooker Arthur Folwell to Western Australia to try to promote the game. Although touring Great Britain and French rugby league teams had played tour matches in Perth, it was not until the late 1980s that the New South Wales Rugby League played games there. In August 1989, the NSWRL played the first game outside New South Wales or Queensland, with a crowd of 21,992 watching Canberra play Canterbury at the WACA.
|Address:||Nelson Crescent, WACA Ground, East Perth, 6004|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.958611|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1908|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2008|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2008|