Centenary of Rugby LeaguePrint Page
The Centenary Plaques Programme was put in place by the Centenary of Rugby League Committee to commemorate sites of historical significance to Rugby League - such as stadiums, suburban grounds and club formation sites. Nearly every aspect of Australia’s Rugby League landscape is covered by a Centenary Plaque – with plaques dedicated to the commemoration of Indigenous Rugby League, National Rugby League (NRL) first-grade clubs, foundation clubs, former Premiership clubs, New South Wales and Queensland Country, and those sites which were host to the foundation of the game itself in Australia.
The plaque itself bears a prominent Centenary logo, the venue name, and a short paragraph of site-specific text on why the venue has been selected as a site of historical significance to Australian Rugby League.
The initial rugby league Test in Brisbane was played against New Zealand at the ground in 1908. The rugby league Tests against England in 1928 and 1946 drew capacity attendances of 39,200 and 40,400 respectively. Officials closed the gates three hours before the start of the 1946 Test, but the gates were forced open and many people climbed over the walls, so the actual attendance was probably closer to 50,000. Two more rugby league Tests were played at the ground (against Great Britain in 1958 and New Zealand in 1959) before Lang Park became the code’s main venue.
|Address:||Gregory Terrace, Brisbane Exhibition Grounds, Bowen Hills, 4006|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.451111|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1908|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2008|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2008|