Centenary of Rugby LeaguePrint Page
A plaque commemorates the centenary of Rugby League and the historical significance of the site.
Sydney clubs Eastern Suburbs (captained by Dally Messenger) and Glebe (led by Kangaroo, Chris McKivat) played the first rugby league game in Orange on April 27, 1912. The Orange Rugby League was established the same year. Wade Park has remained a prominent venue hosting Group, Divisional and International matches.
The Centenary Plaques Programme was put in place by the Centenary of Rugby League Committee to commemorate sites of historical significance to Rugby League - such as stadiums, suburban grounds and club formation sites. Nearly every aspect of Australia’s Rugby League landscape is covered by a Centenary Plaque – with plaques dedicated to the commemoration of Indigenous Rugby League, National Rugby League (NRL) first-grade clubs, foundation clubs, former Premiership clubs, New South Wales and Queensland Country, and those sites which were host to the foundation of the game itself in Australia.
|Address:||Moulder Street, Wade Park, Orange, 2800|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.288333|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1908|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2008|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 19th April, 2008|