Centenary of Rugby LeaguePrint Page
A plaque commemorates the centenary of Rugby League and the historical significance of the site.
Rugby League was first played in the Sutherland Shire in 1912. In the Cronulla district, informal matches were played at nearby Frog Hollow and here at Dunningham Park from the 1920s, before the first junior club was established in 1945. The Cronulla Sutherland DRLFC was admitted to the premiership competition in 1967.
The Centenary Plaques Programme was put in place by the Centenary of Rugby League Committee to commemorate sites of historical significance to Rugby League - such as stadiums, suburban grounds and club formation sites. Nearly every aspect of Australia’s Rugby League landscape is covered by a Centenary Plaque – with plaques dedicated to the commemoration of Indigenous Rugby League, National Rugby League (NRL) first-grade clubs, foundation clubs, former Premiership clubs, New South Wales and Queensland Country, and those sites which were host to the foundation of the game itself in Australia.
|Address:||Kingsway & Elouera Road, Dunningham Park, Cronulla, 2230|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.051389|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2008|