www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Rugby League - Illawarra Leagues ClubPrint Page Print this page

A plaque commemorates the centenary of rugby league in 2008.

The Centenary Plaques program was put in place by the Centenary of Rugby League Committee to commemorate sites of historical significance to Rugby League - such as stadiums, suburban grounds and club formation sites. Nearly every aspect of Australia’s Rugby League landscape is covered by a Centenary Plaque – with plaques dedicated to the commemoration of Indigenous Rugby League, National Rugby League (NRL) first-grade clubs, foundation clubs, former Premiership clubs, New South Wales and Queensland Country, and those sites which were host to the foundation of the game itself in Australia.

The plaque itself bears a prominent Centenary logo, the venue name, and a short paragraph of site-specific text on why the venue has been selected as a site of historical significance to Australian Rugby League.

From its opening in 1951, Illawarra Leagues Club was regarded as the hub of rugby league in the Illawarra, playing host to many representative and touring sides and the administration of rugby league until the opening of the Steelers Club in 1990.

Location

Address:97-99 Church Street , Illawarra Leagues Club , Wollongong, 2500
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.426944
Long: 150.894722
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Sport
Approx. Event Start Date:1908
Approx. Event End Date:2008

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 9th July, 2008
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design