Claremont Speedway Print Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Peter Pascoe

A memorial commemorates the home of Western Australian Speedway at Claremont and honours the 17 riders and drivers killed while competing in the sport during its 73 year history.

One of Australia's and indeed one of the world's oldest and longest running Speedway venues, the Claremont  Speedway was conducted at the Show Grounds at Claremont for over 70 years running from May 14th.1927 to March 31st. 2000.



Address:Graylands Road, Claremont Showgrounds, Fowlhouse Corner, Claremont, 6010
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.977008
Long: 115.783383
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 31st August, 2003
Front Inscription

Plaque :

Claremont Speedway 
May 14, 1927 - March 31, 2000

The world famous Claremont Speedway operated on this site and is recognised as the longest running dirt track in the history of sport in Australia.  The first meeting featured sole and sidecar motorcyles and car racing and the first racing under electric lights was held on September 19, 1927.  Over the years the Claremont Speedway was promoted by John. S. Hoskins, Peter Panizza, Jim Davies, Ossie Michelsen, George Milne, Mick Tilby, Aub Lawson and the longest serving manager, Con Migro.

The track was the venue for Australian Championships in all major speedway divisions, including speedcars and sprint cars and for many international fixtures including official solo motorcycle test matches between Australia, England and many other countries.

This plaque was erected by the Veteran Speedway Riders Association of Australia to commemorate the home of Western Australian Speedway and to honour 17 competitors who were fatally injured at this site.

Unveiled by Dr. Don Robertson, the President of the Royal Agricultural Society of Western Australia Inc. on August 31, 2003

Plaque :


Operated from this site from May 14, 1927 to March 31, 2000
This Plaque, located on the old  'Fowlhouse Corner,' Commemorates those competitors who lost their lives at this Speedway and is Dedicated to their Families.

Proudly donated by the fans who called ' Friday Night - Speedway Night
Unveiled by Mr Chum Taylor on November 9, 2008

31-12-28     BERNARD PERRIE              SOLO
2-3-29         PERCY MULLIGAN              SOLO
27-2-37       RONALD DEAS                    SOLO
18-12-37     NEIL SCHILLER                   SOLO
Source: MA

Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design