Grand Prix MonumentPrint Page
A monument commemorates the South Australian Centenary Grand Prix which was held in Victor Harbor in 1936; South Australia`s centenary year. It replaces the 1986 original monument which had been stolen several times.
On 26 December 1936, the Australian Grand Prix was held at Victor Harbor (thus the Grand Prix of the 1990’s in Adelaide was not the first for South Australia).
Twenty seven entrants, including at least one woman, registered to compete for The Advertiser Gold Trophy, the Aubrey Hall Trophy, and the sum of £200 ($400). The circuit of 12kms was partly bitumen but mainly dirt. An estimated 70,000 people attended to watch the 32 laps. 12 contestants completed the race, won by a 1000cc M.G. sportscar.
The motor race was held on the Port Elliot-Victor Harbour road circuit in South Australia on Boxing Day, 26 December 1936.
The current plaque replaces the original plaque that was stolen several times. The inscription on the original plaque was : -
The S. A. Centenary Grand Prix was conducted on the above defined course on December 26th 1936.
In recognition of the Jubilee 150 year for South Australia, this plaque was unveiled by the Premier of South Australia, Hon. John C. Bannon, B.A., LL.B., M.P., on Saturday, October 18th, 1986.
|Address:||Adelaide Road, Lions Information Bay, Victor Harbor, 5211|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.521245|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||26-December-1936|
|Actual Event End Date:||26-December-1936|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||April-2012|
LIONS CLUB OF VICTOR HARBOR & PORT ELLIOTT
THIS PLAQUE IS TO COMMEMORATE THE SA CENTENARY GRAND PRIX
The Grand Prix was conducted on roads adjacent to this site in & around Port Elliott on 26th December 1936
The course was 12 kilometres long and the race was held over 32 laps. The race winner was Les Murphy driving an MG. P