First Official Air RacePrint Page
In 1920, Serpentine was chosen as the starting point of Australia`s first official air race in which four airmen all of whom had served in the Australian Flying Corps in World War One competed, to promote the Second Peace Loan.
Planes were to fly to St. Kilda, circle above the spire of the Christ Church and then proceed to the General Post Office (GPO) in Elizabeth Street, Melbourne. The announcement that the planes would carry aerial mail brought a flood of letters to Serpentine.
A large crowd assembled at the `winning post` , the Melbourne Town Hall to Treloar win taking 1 hour 15 minutes and 17 seconds, and the second and third place getters arriving two minutes later, only 8 seconds apart.
The suggestion to erect the marker came from a public meeting called by the Sire of East Loddon to arange Australia Day celebrations in 1983. The monument is 1.5 metres high wall which supports a propellor of the type used in the race. Other side has a plaque and a map of Australia
|Address:||Loddon Valley Highway, T. J. Rudkins Park, Serpentine, 3517|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.413889|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||27-August-1920|
|Actual Event End Date:||27-August-1920|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Wednesday 26th January, 1983|
This marker commemorates the start for Serpentine of Australia`s first official air-race on 27th August 1920.
Competitors : Lieut. W.H. Treloar (winner) Capt. R.W. McKenzie M.C. Capt. C.C. Matheson Lieut. E.A. Mustrad D.F.C.
Unveiled by Janette Ireson, Daughter of Lieut. W.H. Treloar on 26th January 1983