www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Lockhart Race ClubPrint Page Print this page

Origins of the club lay in the practice of shearers, shed hands and the manager of Lockhart Station which ran 25000 sheep and employed approximately thirty men to end the shearing season with a picnic race meeting. This allowed differences over who had the best horse to be settled at a race and picnic day. In 1884 the Lockhart Race Club was formed and operated until 1965 when their licence to race `at home` was revoked due to insufficient amenities.

Location

Address:Western Highway, Kaniva, 3419
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.378611
Long: 141.239444
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Sport

Dedication

Front Inscription
Lockhart Race Club. Commenced racing 1867 ceased 1983
Source: RUMV
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design