Sydney StadiumPrint Page
Plaque erected in 1980 commemorates the stadium which was located at this site from 1908 to 1970.
The Sydney Stadium was built in the early 1900`s on Rushcutters Bay Rd, as Sydney`s main boxing and wrestling venue, yet years later it was to earn itself the title of the premier venue for the early Rock `n` Roll scene. Many World Boxing and Wrestling title fights were held there and it operated many nights of the week. It was in fact one of the most popular venues in Sydney during the 20`s, 30`s and 40`s. The man responsible for all turning the boxing mecca into an international entertainment mecca was American expatriate Lee Gordon. He imported the major stars here and this was the only large venue available to him. Every major entertainment act from Abbott and Costello, Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra to all the Rockers except Elvis and Bing Crosby performed there to the 11,000 screaming fans sitting either on chairs or benches. Unfortunately in the early 70`s it was demolished to enable a new Bondi train line and roadway to be built and it was right in the middle of the direct route.
|Address:||Craigend Street, Rushcutters Bay, 2011|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.876389|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1908|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1970|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1980|