Centenary of Rugby LeaguePrint Page
A plaque commemorates the Centenary of Rugby League and also the historical significance of the site.
Rugby League was first played in Griffith in 1920 and this ground has been home to the Griffith Black and Whites (established in 1920) and Griffith Waratahs (established in 1964). The town has competed in the Nnew South Wales Group 20 competition since 1954 and has enjoyed the support of the Griffith Leagues Club since 1958.
The Centenary Plaques Programme was put in place by the Centenary of Rugby League Committee to commemorate sites of historical significance to Rugby League - such as stadiums, suburban grounds and club formation sites. Nearly every aspect of Australia’s Rugby League landscape is covered by a Centenary Plaque – with plaques dedicated to the commemoration of Indigenous Rugby League, National Rugby League (NRL) first-grade clubs, foundation clubs, former Premiership clubs, New South Wales and Queensland Country, and those sites which were host to the foundation of the game itself in Australia.
The plaque itself bears a prominent Centenary logo, the venue name, and a short paragraph of site-specific text on why the venue has been selected as a site of historical significance to Australian Rugby League
|Address:||Blumer Avenue, Griffith Exsies Oval, Griffith, 2680|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.285793|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 5th April, 2008|