Davis Cup MemorialPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the site of New South Wales Lawn Tennis Associations courts and commemorates Australian successes of 1909 and 1919 in the Davis Cup.
The 1909 International Lawn Tennis Challenge was the ninth edition of what is now known as the Davis Cup. For the second straight year, only the British Isles and the United States would challenge Australasia for the Cup. After defeating the British in Philadelphia, the United States traveled to Sydney, only to be defeated once again by the Aussies. The final was played at the Double Bay Grounds on 27-30 November.
The 1919 International Lawn Tennis Challenge was the 14th edition of what is now known as the Davis Cup. After not being played for four years during World War One, the competition resumed with four teams challenging Australia for the cup. Australia had participated in winning the 1914 competition with New Zealand as Australasia, which is why Australia was the team being challenged. Australia won the title from Great Britain. The final was played at the Double Bay Grounds in Sydney, Australia on 16–21 January 1920.
|Address:||Kiaora Lane, Kiaora Place, Double Bay, 2028|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.878201|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 9th November, 1963|
This plaque was placed by the Woollahra Municipal Council to mark the site of Australia`s Davis Cup successes in 1909 and 1919. The Australasian teams being : -
Norman E. Brookes
Anthony J. Wilding
Norman E. Brookes
Gerald L. Patterson
James O. Anderson
The New South Wales Lawn Tennis Association courts then occupied the area now bounded by Patterson and Anderson Streets and Court Road.
F. D. Bolin
A. C. Murchison, M.C., E.D.
9th November, 1963