Dandenong Bowling Club CentenaryPrint Page
Gates erected in 1982 to commemorate the centenary of the Dandenong Bowling Club which was formed in 1882. The gates are a tribute to the pioneers and founders of the club.
The club was formed as Dandenong Bowls Club in 1882, opening a green on October 31, 1883 and joining the Victorian Bowls Association in 1889. In 2005 it merged with Dandenong Workers Club.
Some gentlemen in and around Dandenong have formed themselves into a bowling club, with Colonel T Bruce Hutton as president, and an influential committee. The shire council have granted the new club a portion of the park for their use, beside the creek, which is a great desideratum, as water can always be had by pumping. Preparation of the ground is already in progress. Mr R. H. Cooling, an old bowler, has accepted the hon. secretaryship. The green is expected to be ready for play on the usual opening day, October 1.
The Argus (Melbourne,), 20 April 1882
Note: Greens have now been closed due to falling membership.
|Address:||37 Pultney Street (entrance), Dandenong Bowling Club, Dandenong, 3175|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.991566|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1882|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1982|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 6th March, 1982|
DANDENONG BOWLING CLUB
FOUNDED 6TH MARCH, 1882
GREEN OPENED: 31ST OCTOBER, 1883
COLONEL T BRUCE HUTTON
FIRST SECRETARY: MR R.H.COOLING
CITY OF DANDENONG
THESE CENTENARY GATES WERE ERECTED ON THE OCCASION OF THE DANDENONG BOWLING CLUB`S CENTENARY, 6TH MARCH, 1982, AS A TRIBUTE TO THE FOUNDERS AND PIONEERS, AND MEMBERS OF THE DANDENONG BOWLING CLUB DOWN THROUGH THE YEARS.
DANDENONG BOWLING CLUB CENTENARY
1882 - 1982
ON THIS GREEN, WHERE THE GAME OF BOWLS WAS FATHERED IN DANDENONG ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO, THOUSAND OF PEOPLE HAVE FOUND NEW FRIENDSHIP AND ENJOYMENT THAT WOULD NEVER BE THEIRS BUT FOR THE DANDENONG BOWLING CLUB AND THE GAME OF BOWLS.