Birthplace of the AshesPrint Page
The Rotary Club Clocktower was constructed by the Rotary Club of Sunbury and presented to the citizens in recognition of Sunbury being the birthplace of the Ashes.
Sunbury is the site where a tiny terracotta urn, believed to be a perfume bottle bought by Lady Janet Clarke at an Egyptian bazaar, was presented to Ivo Bligh, the captain of the English touring team of 1882-83. Although the date of the presentation is not confirmed, it is generally thought the urn was presented at Christmas in 1882 after a private game at Sir William Clarke's Rupertswood mansion.
The urn, which still sits at the Marylebone Cricket Club, is thought to contain the ashes of burnt cricket bails.
|Address:||Brook & Evans Streets, Sunbury, 3429|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.579764|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Richard Petersen|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 14th January, 1995|
ROTARY CLUB OF SUNBURY INC. CLOCKTOWER
CONSTRUCTED TO RECOGNISE SUNBURY AS BEING THE BIRTH PLACE OF THE ASHES
PRESENTED TO THE CITIZENS OF SUNBURY ON 14TH JANUARY 1995
OFFICIALLY OPENED BY STANLEY S. PAYNE J.P. (PAUL HARRIS FELLOW)
SPECIAL THANKS TO THE COUNCILLORS AND RESIDENTS OF THE SHIRE OF BULLA
STANLEY S. PAYNE AS TRUSTEE OF THE
EDWARD A. GREEN CHARITABLE DONATION
THE MEMBERS OF THE ROTARY CLUB OF SUNBURY
DESIGNED BY RICHARD PETERSEN AND DEPICTS A CRICKET BALL HITTING THE STUMPS