St Mary`s Memorial Stone Print Page
Memorial stone which commemorates the completion of St Mary`s Cathedral was blessed at the close of the 3rd Australasian Catholic Conference in 1909.
The Catholic Congress was brought to a close, as it opened, with brilliant religious ceremonies at St. Mary's Cathedral. After the ceremonies a procession was then formed from the sanctuary to the south external end of the Cathedral, where Cardinal Moran blessed and laid the foundation-stone of the additions which are to complete the structure. The stone, a massive block of Pyrmont sandstone, bore this inscription :—This memorial stone for the completion of St. Mary's Cathedral was solemnly blessed by Cardinal Moran, Archbishop of Sydney, in the presence of the assembled bishops, clergy, and laity, at the close of the third Australasian Catholic Congress, Rosary Sunday, October 3, 1909. Mr. J. Nangle was the architect. After the laying of the memorial stone, the members of Congress assembled at St. Mary's presbytery, where group photos were taken.
Excerpt from Southern Cross (Adelaide), 8 October 1909.
|Address:||College Street, St Mary`s Cathedral , Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.871179|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 3rd October, 1909|
This Memorial Stone
For The Completion Of
St Mary’s Cathedral
Was Solemnly Blessed By
CARDINAL MORAN ARCHBISHOP OF SYDNEY
In The Presence Of The Assembled Bishops, Clergy And Laity
At The Close Of The
Third Australasian Catholic Congress
On Rosary Sunday
October 3rd AD 1909