Memorial Lych GatePrint Page
The Lych Gate commemorates the pioneers of the Church in Gippsland and was opened in 1947, the centenary year of the Church of England in Gippsland. It is a memorial to three pioneer evangelists of East Gippsland, Robert Martin, John Sackfield and Edith Reece.
St John's Anglican Church was built in 1928, with funds donated by Edith Reece, an English woman who worked as a deaconess at Cann River from 1922 to 1932.
On December 6, at Cann River, the Governor-General, Right Hon. W. J. McKell, unveiled a memorial tablet and opened the Lych Gate at St. John's Church of England Cann River, in connection with the centenary of the Church England in Gippsland. It is a memorial to three pioneer evangelists of East Gippsland, Robjert Martin, John Sackfield and Edith Reece. The memorial was dedicated by the Bishop of Gippsland, Right Rev. D. B. Blackwood.
Gippsland Times (Vic), 11 December 1947.
|Address:||Princes Highway (Genoa Street), St John`s Uniting Church, Cann River, 3890|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.565914|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1847|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1947|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 6th December, 1947|
CENTENARY OF CHURCH
1847 IN GIPPSLAND 1947
IN MEMORY OF THREE PIONEERS
ROBERT MARTIN 1884
JOHN SACKFIELD 1893
EDITH REECE 1924
OPENED BY RT.HON.W.J.McKELL
DEDICATED BY RT.REV.D.B.BLACKWOOD
BISHOP OF GIPPSLAND
6 - 12 - 47