www.monumentaustralia.org.au

St Georges Church Memorial StonePrint Page Print this page

St Georges Church : 18-July-2012
St Georges Church : 18-July-2012
Photographs supplied by Peter Gray

Stone in the church building commemorates the opening of the church in 1877.

St George's Uniting Church, St Kilda was built on land reserved in Chapel Street for the Presbyterian Church of Victoria in 1866. Ten years later the first services were held in the orderly room and advances were made towards the erection of a church. The architect Albert Purchas was commissioned to design the building and the foundation stone for the western portion of the nave was laid in April 1877 by Sir James McCulloch. The congregation quickly outgrew this church and the building was enlarged and reopened in 1880.

Location

Address:4 Chapel Street, St George`s Uniting Church, St Kilda East, 3183
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.859231
Long: 144.992256
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 21st April, 1877
Front Inscription

Memorial Stone
Laid By
The Hon : Sir Jas : McCulloch
K.C.M.G 
April 21th 1877

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design