Congregational ChurchPrint Page
Plaque with a large wooden cross commemorating the site of the Independent (Congregational) Church. Erected 1854. Also the Kew Congregational Church 1860-1978. The first places of Christian worship.
In 1853, when the village consisted of only a few cottages and tents, Messrs. J. J. French and James Day set themselves to work to provide a building in which divine worship might be conducted. They waited upon Mr. N. A. Fenwick, and obtained a gift from him of the land in Walpole Street . The first Church, known in its early days as the Independent Chapel, was built of brick at a cost of £490, and opened free of debt on 16th April, 1854.
|Address:||Walpole Street, Bodalla Nursing Home, Kew, 3101|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.804681|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.