All Saints Dedication PlaquePrint Page
A plaque commemorates the opening and consecration of the church in 1861 and also of an earlier church opened in 1830.
A wooden chapel was opened and dedicated on 10th January, 1830, by Archdeacon (later Bishop) Broughton. This sacred site is the tenth oldest place of continuous Anglican worship in the Diocese of Sydney, and one of the oldest in Australia. The first Minister was Rev. Thomas Hassall, the “Galloping Parson”, who serviced the whole of southern NSW from his Rectory in Cobbity. He was relieved of the responsibility for Sutton Forest by Rev. John Vincent as Chaplain in 1831, responsible for Mittagong southwards.The wooden chapel soon proved insufficient and, after an attempt to build on land offered across the road, it was “proposed that the new church … be built on the same piece of ground as the present Church stands”. Edmund Blacket (the famous architect and designer of St Andrew’s Cathedral, Sydney) was consulted and he provided plans for the current church which was completed and dedicated by Bishop Frederick Barker on 29th August, 1861.
|Address:||Illawarra Highway, All Saints Church, Sutton Forest, 2577|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.566439|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 22nd September, 1957|
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
THIS TABLET HAS BEEN ERECTED BY
THE PARISHIONERS OF ALL SAINTS, SUTTON FOREST
TO RECORD THE OPENING AND CONSECRATION
OF THIS CHURCH BY THE
RT. REV. FREDERIC BARKER D.D.
Bishop Of Sydney
ON THE 29th AUGUST 1861
AND OF THE EARLIER CHURCH OPENED BY THE
VENERABLE ARCHDEACON W.G. BROUGHTON
ON THE 10th JANUARY 1830
DEDICATED BY THE
MOST REVEREND H.W.K. MOWLL, G.M.G.D.D.
Primate of Australia, Archbishop of Sydney
ON THE 22nd SEPTEMBER, 1957