www.monumentaustralia.org.au

All Saints DedicationPrint Page Print this page

15-March-2015
15-March-2015

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams

The plaque commemorates the opening and consecration of the church in 1861 and also of an earlier church opened in 1830. 

A wooden chapel was opened and dedicated on 10th January, 1830, by Archdeacon (later Bishop) Broughton. This sacred site is the tenth oldest place of continuous Anglican worship in the Diocese of Sydney, and one of the oldest in Australia. The first Minister was Rev. Thomas Hassall, the “Galloping Parson”, who serviced the whole of southern New South Wales from his Rectory in Cobbity. He was relieved of the responsibility for Sutton Forest by Rev. John Vincent as Chaplain in 1831, responsible for Mittagong southwards.

The wooden chapel soon proved insufficient and, after an attempt to build on land offered across the road, it was “proposed that the new church … be built on the same piece of ground as the present Church stands”. Edmund Blacket (the famous architect and designer of St Andrew’s Cathedral, Sydney) was consulted and he provided plans for the current church which was completed and dedicated by Bishop Frederick Barker on 29th August, 1861.

Location

Address:Illawarra Highway, All Saints Church, Sutton Forest, 2577
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.566439
Long: 150.322088
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 22nd September, 1957
Front Inscription

To the glory of God

This tablet has been erected by the parishioners of All Saints, Sutton Forest to record the opening and consecration of this church by the Rt. Rev. Frederic Barker D.D.  Bishop of Sydney on the 29th August 1861

And of the earlier church opened by the Venerable Deacon W. G. Broughton on the 10th January 1830

Dedicated by the Most Reverend H. W. K. Mowll, G.M.G.D.D.  Primate of Australia, Archbishop of Sydney of the 22nd September, 1957

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design