Redemptorist CentenaryPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the centenary pilgrimage of the Redemptorists in 1982.
The Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer is a Roman Catholic missionary Congregation founded by Saint Alphonsus Liguori at Scala, near Amalfi, Italy for the purpose of labouring among the neglected country people in the neighbourhood of Naples. Members of the Congregation, priests and brothers, are known as Redemptorists and minister in more than 77 countries around the world.
A number of requests for Australian foundations had been made to the Redemptorists and a small team was formed to be the first Australian community. In January 1882, the group boarded the liner Sorata bound for Australia, bringing with them an icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, blessed by Pope Leo XIII.
The first house established was in Singleton, New South Wales but during the summer heat missions were conducted in the cooler climate of New Zealand’s dioceses. As Singleton was an unsuitable base, the community oversaw the building of a new monastery at Mount St Alphonsus, Waratah, New South Wales.
|Address:||Queen Street, St Patrick`s Church, Singleton, 2330|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.559295|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
On 30th April 1882 Bishop James Murray Officially Welcomed The Redemptorists To Singleton
Their First Home In Australia.
On 18th April 1982 The Redemptorists Returned On A Centenary Pilgrimage And Presented This Plaque As A Token
Of Thanks To The People Of Singleton.
Most Rev. Leo Morris Clark D.D. Bishop Of Maitland,
Monsignor Gerard Patrick Flatley, Parish Priest Of Singleton,
Very Rev.Laurance McCarthy C.s.s.R,Provincial Of The Redemptorists in Australia.