Founders of Ilford Methodist ChurchPrint Page
Memorial plaque dedicated to the founders of Ilford Methodist Church.
William Harris donated land for a church and parsonage. His brother George was the contractor and carpenter and donated his labour. James Burgess and W. Pascoe were the stonemasons assisted by William Harris, Mr Rowe being the architect. The contract price was 240 pounds. The foundation stone was laid in 1866 and the wives raised the money to pay for the building, which was opened on 4 November, 1867.
After being away for thirty years, to be asked back to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of the Ilford Church in the Rylstone circuit, on Sunday, November 13, was the privilege and joy of the Rev. G. W. Turner. Two services were held, one at 11, and the other at 3 o'clock. At the latter, the Rev. G. Trevor Hughes conducted the first part of the service and then cordially welcomed back the Rev. G. W. Turner, who suitably responded, and preached an impressive sermon appropriate to the occasion. A beautiful marble tablet to the memory of the pioneers, was unveiled by Mr. William Harris, son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Harris, who were amongst the founders of the church. The congregations were large, many coming long distances to join in honouring the memory of those who established the Methodist cause at Ilford.
The Methodist (Sydney, NSW), 26 November 1927.
|Address:||Ilford Hall Road, Ilford Uniting Church, Ilford, 2849|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.963464|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 4th November, 1927|
Erected in memory of
The Founders of this Church
REUBEN LEADER, MARTHA LEADER,
WILLIAM HARRIS, ELIZABETH HARRIS,
GEORGE HARRIS, MARTHA HARRIS
4th Nov. 1867-1927