62nd Anniversary of St John`s Anglican ChurchPrint Page
A tree planted by Lord Gowrie commemorates the 62nd anniversary of St John`s Anglican Church.
St John's Anglican Parish was established in 1882. The original building, which was licensed for use on 16th June 1882, extended to the present chancel steps and cost ₤1,200. The idea of adding classrooms to the building for a school was abandoned when state aid was withdrawn from denominational schools from the end of 1882.
|Address:||Birchgrove Road and Spring Street, St John`s Anglican Church, Balmain, 2041|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.852617|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 18th June, 1944|
THIS TREE WAS PLANTED BY HIS EXCELLENCY THE GOVERNOR GENERAL LORD GOWRIE ON SUNDAY, JUNE 18th, 1944.
THE 62nd ANNIVERSARY OF THIS CHURCH AND BEFORE HIS DEPARTURE FROM AUSTRALIA.