110th Anniversary of Stow Memorial ChurchPrint Page
Two bronze tablets were placed on a column in the church commemorating the 110th anniversary and the first Congregational Church. The Stow Memorial Church is now known as Pilgrim Uniting Church.
In 1837, Reverend Stow arrived in Adelaide and began services in a tent on the Torrens wher the railway station now stands. Later a substantial building was erected in Freeman Street near Gawler Place.
The Stow Memorial Church was built in 1867 in memory of Thomas Quinton Stow.
The 110th anniversary of Stow Memorial Church will be celebrated tomorrow. In 1837 the Rev. Thomas Quinton Stow arrived in Adelaide and began services in a tent on the bank of the Torrens, where the railway station now stands. Soon a reed and bark structure replaced the tent, and later a substantial building was erected in Freeman street, near Gawler place. This building later became part of the factory owned by A. Simpson and Son. Ltd. Mr. Fred Simpson has preserved the north-eastern pillar of the church with its original ornamental carving. This column now stands in the centre of the factory and Mr. Simpson has had two bronze tablets placed on the column commemorating the first Congregational church. These tablets will be unveiled tomorrow afternoon in the presence of the minister (Rev. N. C. Goss) and members of the church. The present beautiful Gothic building in Flinders street was built in 1867 under the ministry of the Rev. Cadwallader Evan in memory of Thomas Quinton Stow.
The Advertiser (Adelaide) 18 October 1947.
|Address:||12 Flinders Street, Pilgrim Uniting Church, Adelaide, 5000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.926685|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 19th October, 1947|