St Saviour`s Cathedral CentenaryPrint Page
Rock monument commemorates the centenary of St Saviour Cathedral.
The first church of St. Saviour was built in 1839. St Saviour's became the pro-cathedral for the Diocese of Goulburn in April 1864, when Bishop Mesac Thomas arrived to take charge of his diocese. From 1871, as the diocese was beginning to get on its feet, Bishop Thomas began to think positively about a cathedral. Here, and in England, he collected £37,000 of a total of £50,000 needed for the building.
Construction of the Cathedral commenced in 1874, around the old St Saviour's Church.The bricks of the old church now form the floor of the Cathedral. The building was completed in 1884, though without the spire and bells. The tower and eight bells were added in 1988, financed by fundraising and a $1 million Bicentennial Grant.
|Address:||170 Bourke Street, St Saviour`s Cathedral, Goulburn, 2580|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.753256|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1884|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1984|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1984|