www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Girls Friendly Society CentenaryPrint Page Print this page

Girls Friendly Society Centenary : 07-December-2011
Girls Friendly Society Centenary : 07-December-2011

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

Tree planted in 1975 commemorates the centenary of the Girls` Friendly Society. The plaque relating to the tree planting is now in a small garden on the median strip in Sturt Street. 

Originally known as the Girls' Friendly Society, GFS Australia began as a local branch of the Girls' Friendly Society founded in England in 1875 by Mary Townsend. This was an Anglican Church group which formed to give maids and female domestic staff spiritual guidance and social activities for their days off. The Society later also functioned in part as an employment agency. The first local Australian branch was formed in Adelaide in 1879, with branches being established in all states by 1901.

Location

Address:Sturt Street, Ballarat, 3350
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.561875
Long: 143.856596
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Tree
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1875
Approx. Event End Date:1975

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 22nd June, 1975
Front Inscription

A. M. D. G.

In commemoration of  the centenary of the Girls` Friendly Society within the Anglican Communion this tree was planted by the venerable G. H. Walden Administrator of the Diocese of Ballaarat (sic).  22nd June, 1975.

Margaret J. Dent, Diocesan Secretary, G.F.S.
Gladys Beames, Diocesan Chairman, G.F.S.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design