Sisters of St Joseph CentenaryPrint Page
A brick tomb chest contains time capsule laid down in 1984 by the Taralga Historical Society and the the Sacred Heart School to commemorate the Sisters of Joseph Centenary. The time capsule is to be opened in 2034.
When government support of denominational schools was withdrawn at the end of 1882, the Taralga community voted unanimously to have a community of Sisters in their town to take over the running of their school. They had promised a large house on four acres of land joining the church grounds in which the Sisters would reside. Rev J O'Dwyer who was the Crookwell and district priest-in-charge at this time had sent urgent word to Bishop Lanigan of the town's request, stressing the need for immediate attention.
The first three Sisters of St Joseph to reside at Taralga were Srs M Teresa Fallon, Columba Maher and Clare Gorman who arrived from Goulburn to begin the 1885 school year. As well as teaching in the school and supporting the musical and cultural pursuits of the township, the Sisters fostered the faith of the people. Mass was held in Taralga on three Sundays a month and the Sisters taught Catechism classes at 10am every Sunday. Rosary and Benediction were part of the devotions held at 7.30pm on Mass Sundays.
The Sisters worked among the people of Sacred Heart parish Taralga until the end of 1988, when the community of Sisters was withdrawn from the town.
|Address:||83 Orchard St, Taralga Historical Society Museum, Taralga, 2580|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.398462|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1984|
This time capsule was laid down in 1984 by the Historical Society and Sacred Heart School to commemorate the Sisters of St. Joseph centenary in Taralga
To be opened in 2034