Order of Knights Golden JubileePrint Page
A Gothic window commemorates the Golden Jubilee of the Order of Knights which was founded in Hurstville in 1914.
The Order of Knights was founded by Reverend Bray of Hurstville so that the boys and men of the Methodist Church might realise the fellowship of a common ideal of service. The first Court was opened at Hurstville in 1914.
The Methodist Order of Knights began in the Sunday School at Hurstville, New South Wales, in October 1914, In June, 1917, it was adopted by the Young People's Department of the New South Wales conference. The Order spread rapidly throughout the Commonwealth, the General Court of Australasia first meeting in 1930. Five years later it received the official recognition of the General Conference of the Church. So widespread and so rapid was its development that in 1939, the year of its Silver Jubilee, it was firmly established in all States of the Commonwealth, and it was re-organised in junior and senior sections.
Today it has a membership of many thousands in Australasia, and has been introduced to a English Methodism by a young member serving there during the war. The Order of Knights is one of the many youth movements of the Young People's Department, which seeks to develop in the best ways the various phases of a young man`s make-up. To do this a four-square programme is used, headed devotional, social, intellectual and physical. Young men from the age of fifteen years may apply for membership if they are members or adherents of the Church.
Border Chronicle (Bordertown, SA), 12 June 1947.
|Address:||18 The Avenue, Uniting Church, Hurstville, 2220|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.965364|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||01-October-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||01-October-1964|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1964|
To the glory of God
A tribute to those who served Methodist Order of Knights
No 1 Court "Sir Lancelot" Founded 1-10-1914