Barren Ridges First Wesleyan ServicePrint Page
Plaque erected on the site of the Barren Ridge Convict Sawing Establishment where services were conducted by the Wesleyan Methodist Church in 1822.
The location of the Oxford Street church is on the site of historical Barren Ridges convict establishment, which came into existence through an initiative of Governor Lachlan Macquarie.
The convict timber camp which included huts, a cooking place, sawmill and possibly burial ground, was established in 1817. Because the trees were soon removed, the general area was known as Barren Ridges by 1825. The camp occupied the sites along Oxford Street where the post office and Catholic church now stand. The first Methodist chapel in Hornsby Shire, established sometime before 1821, was at also at Barren Ridges.
|Address:||Oxford & Chester Streets, Uniting Church, Epping, 2121|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.769101|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1965|