Ebenezer PioneersPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the pioneers who built the church.
Ebenezer Church came into being following the arrival in the colony of New South Wales of eight families on board the ‘Coromandel’ in June 1802. These families – Davison, Hall, Howe, Johnston, Johnstone, Mein, Stubbs and Turnbull – came to the new colony with a request to be settled together. Their wish was granted by Governor King and they moved to their 100-acre land grants at Portland Head (Ebenezer) on the Hawkesbury River early in 1803.
They were joined by seven other families – Arndell, Bushell, Grono, Cavanough, Jacklin, Suddis and Jones – and met regularly on Sundays for services on Ebenezer Mount or in the homes of settlers.
In 1808 at a special meeting in the home of Dr Thomas Arndell, a surgeon who came out on the First Fleet, each family pledged itself to the building of a church and school. The total cost of £400 was to be obtained from voluntary subscriptions. There was no assistance by way of finance or labour from the government.
Pioneer Owen Cavanough donated four acres of land on which to build the church. Andrew Johnston designed the church and supervised its construction. George Hall swam his bullocks across the river to haul the stone to the site. Built of locally obtained materials – sandstone, cedar wood and hardwood – it was constructed in 1809.
|Address:||Coromandel Road, Presbyterian Church, Ebenezer, 2756|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.536539|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1809|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1938|
Dedicated To The Memory
Of The Pioneers Who
Built This Place Of Worship
In The Year 1809
[ Names ]