Presbyterian Centenary & JubileePrint Page
Cairn erected in 1937 commemorates the Jubilee of the church and the centenary of Presbyterianism in Picton.
On 2nd April, 1887, the foundation stone of the Picton Presbyterian Church was laid by Mr. W.Coull, on a site which he had presented to the Church. The same year— on 11th September— the church was opened and consecrated by the Rev. Doctor W.M. Dill Mackay. This year— 1937 — on Sunday, April 4 —special services are to be conducted in Picton by the Rev. G. M. Scott, to commemorate the Jubilee of the building. Mr. Scott is also to unveil a cairn erected in commemoration of the event.
The story of Presbyterianism in Picton is longer than 50 years, however. The history of the district might be said to have begun with the settlement of the Antills at "Jarvisfield" in 1820, and the land must have been taken up rapidly, for very soon there was a strong Presbyterian group in the district, including such families as the Harpers, Inglises, McDonalds, McAlisters, McLeans, Dunns, Mclntyres, and Grahams. To minister to their spiritual needs, in 1838, the Rev. H. R. Gilchrist began to ride over from Campbelltown to preach in the barn at "Abbotsford." Later services were held in the old Court House, which stood at the corner art the top of the hill where the Hume Highway from Sydney enters Picton.
The Picton Post (NSW), 31 March 1937.
|Address:||Lumsdaine Street & Remembrance Drive, Uniting Church, Picton, 2751|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.174408|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 4th April, 1937|