Centenary of St. George`s CathedralPrint Page
A Lancet window commemorates the centenary of St. George`s Cathedral.
In 1878 , Edward Blackett he was approached by Bishop Parry and others to design a new Cathedral for Perth and in 1879 his plans were accepted and work began on 1 October. Blacket died on 9 February 1883 and did not see the completed Cathedral, the only example of his work in Western Australia.
Work began on the cathedral in 1879 with the Foundation Stone being laid on November 2nd 1880 by the Governor, Sir William Robinson. This stone is on the North East corner (outside the North transept).
The Cathedral is built in English Victorian Gothic Revival style. It is built of bricks made from clay from what is now called Queen’s Gardens and stone trimmings (quarried at Rottnest Island). The Cathedral was opened and consecrated by Bishop Parry, the second Bishop of Perth, on 15 November 1888.
|Address:||St Georges Terrace, North Transept, St. Georges Cathedral, Perth, 6000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.955884|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.