www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Sinnamon Memorial Uniting ChurchPrint Page Print this page

Memorial Uniting Church : 30-05-2014
Memorial Uniting Church : 30-05-2014

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson
Pine trees commemorate the centenary of the building of the Church.

In 1888 this building replaced a small bark and shingle chapel erected in 1880 at the corner of Goggs and Seventeen Mile Rocks Road, adjacent to the former Seventeen Mile Rocks School. The builder was Wilson Henry, a local resident and a cousin to the Sinnamon family, pioneers of the Seventeen Mile Rocks area since the mid-1860s. The new building was intended for use by the Church of England, but as the church was unable to supply a clergyman, the congregation was served by the Primitive Methodist Church of Ipswich, whose minister arrived by rowboat. By the 1950s the congregation had dwindled to sisters Edith and Isobel Sinnamon. In 1966 the western extension of Seventeen Mile Rocks Road to the new suburb of Jindalee necessitated relocation of the building, which was moved onto land donated by Hercules V Sinnamon from the Sinnamon family`s original 1865 holding.

Location

Address:Seventeen Mile Rocks Road, Sinnamon Park, 4073
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.538312
Long: 152.951511
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Trees
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1980
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design