St Francis of Assisi StatuePrint Page
Statue commemorates the 25th Anniversary of the arrival of Capuchin friars at Halifax.
On 5th November 1946, the parish of Leichhardt and the chaplaincy of the Italians in the archdiocese of Sydney were committed to the Capuchins by Cardinal Norman Thomas Gilroy. The next foundation was Halifax in the diocese of Townsville. Fr. Egidio was already in north Queensland, residing as a guest at Ingham, but at the disposal of the bishop in caring for the Italian immigrants. Given the appreciation of his dedicated and fruitful efforts together with the developing cordial relations, the bishop offered the parish of St. Peter`s Halifax as soon as it became vacant in 1947.
|Address:||Scott Street, St Peters Church, Halifax, 4850|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -18.581266|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1947|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1972|
ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI
OF THE ARRIVAL OF THE
IN ST PETER'S PARISH,
1947 - 1972