St Patrick`s Chapel Print Page
Dedicated to pioneer Irish priests and people and to Bishop McCarthy.
Bishop McCarthy was one of the most renowned figures in the Roman Catholic Church in Australia. On June 7th, 1917 in succession to the late Dr. S. Reville, Dr McCarthy was consecrated Bishop of Sandhurst. White chrysanthemums decorated the high altar of the Sacred Heart Cathedral before which the consecration took place, the ceremony being opened by a procession of clergy numbering in all about 200. The consecration ceremony was performed by Archbishop Manni, assisted by the Bishop of Ballarat (Dr. D. Foley) and the Bishop of Rockhampton (Dr. Shiel). Dr. John McCarthy, died at Bishop House St, Killian's, Bendigo in 1949 ending a 33 year reign as Bishop.
|Address:||66 Short Street, Sacred Heart Cathedral, Bendigo, 3550|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.760309|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.