Blessed Sacrament ChapelPrint Page
Blessed Sacrament Chapel is dedicated to all who shared in the work of completion of the cathedral.
In 1895 Martin Crane, an Augustinian and the first bishop of the diocese, called for competitive designs for a cathedral from several architects. The winning architect was William Tappin of the firm Reed, Barnes and Tappin, a firm established by Joseph Reed, one of Melbourne's most significant architects. It was built in the Gothic Revival style from sandstone quarried from the Geelong area. The large pipe organ, built by Bishop & Son of London, was installed late in 1905.
After a long interval, work recommenced on the cathedral in 1954 and was completed in 1977. The later works were designed by Bates, Smart and McCutcheon, the successor of Reed, Barnes and Tappin. The spire was of lighter construction than that originally designed, being steel framed and clad with a masonry veneer.
|Address:||66 Short Street, Sacred Heart Cathedral, Bendigo, 3550|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.760262|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.