St John the Baptist CentenaryPrint Page
A stained glass window commemorates the centenary of the church.
The foundation stone of St. John The Baptist Church was laid in 1842 and was entirely paid for by the parishioners.
The centenary of the Church of St John the Baptist, Ouse, was celebrated by a service in the church on Sunday. Miss Bolland was organist. In the unavoidable absence of the rector (Rev L. L. Oldham) the service was taken by the Rev. J. W. Bethune, who preached the sermon and also spoke to the children. The preacher reminded all of their heritage and sacred associations with the church they loved, and urged them to be true to the faith of their fathers. The offerings for a special centenary commemoration exceeded £113. The following extract from “Church News” more than 50 years ago was written by the late Canon Adams, of Hagley, and authenticated by the late Mr. Bethune, of Dunrobin, the late Rev H. W. Adams, and others: “The Ouse Church was built entirely by the parishioners during the incumbency of Dr. Pogson. The land for the church and cemetery, on a gentle rise, in the midst of the township, was given by the late W. A. Bethune, Esq., of Dunrobin.
The Mercury (Hobart), 1st July 1943.
|Address:||Bridge Hotel Road, Anglican Church of St John the Baptist, Ouse, 7120|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.485111|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1843|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1943|
|Monument Designer:||Mathieson & Gibson|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1943|
To the glory of God and in commemoration of the centenary of this church of St. John the Baptist 1843 - 1943 Erected by the parishioners