Campbell Memorial ChurchPrint Page
Church erected in memory of Reverend Lachlan Campbell the first minister.
The former minister, the Rev. L. M. Campbell, who lived for 54 years in the Oatlands manse, will be honoured at a special service to be held at 3 p.m. tomorrow in the church which bears his name, the Campbell Memorial Presbyterian Church, Oatlands. The occasion for the service is the 100th anniversary of the induction of Mr. Campbell to the Oatlands charge. Mr. Campbell, who served a student ministry in Nova Scotia, Canada, was trained in Edinburgh, Scotland, and came direct to Oatlands. He spent his whole ministry in the one church, and was buried at the head of the Presbyterian cemetery in Oatlands. The service will be conducted by the present minister, the Rev. A. M. McMaster.
The Mercury (Hobart), 23rd May 1953.
|Address:||High Street, Oatlands, 7120|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.303243|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1859|
Campbell Memorial Uniting Church
The original church was completed in October 1856 with Rev. Lachlan Mackinnon Campbell the first Minister.
A storm in 1858, toppled the 95 foot steeple and destroyed the church.
It was quickly rebuilt due to the generosity of a Mr Wilson and further restoration work took place in 1985 which included a lightning conductor. The classic Georgian style Manse of freestone construction was built soon after the Church and much of the interior woodwork is magnificent cedar.
ROTARY INTERNATIONAL SOUTHERN MIDLANDS COUNCIL
Sponsored by the Rotary Club of Oatlands.