Sisters of St John of GodPrint Page
Plaque recognises the dedication and nursing of the patients at the Leprosarium by the Sisters of St John of God who tended to the needs of leprosy patients and their families for over five decades.
From 1935 to 1937, a matron and her husband were responsible for the running of a small hospital which was to become the Derby Leprosarium. In 1937, because of the increase in the number of cases detected, the government advertised for a nursing staff and the Sisters of St John of God answered the call. They remained at the Leprosarium dedicating their skill and devotion to the patients until the closure of the institution in 1986.
|Address:||Bungarun Road, Bungarun Leprosarium Site, Derby, 6728|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -17.28005|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Dedicated to Sisters of St. John of God for their patience in people’s time of need, comfort and support./ Patients of Bungarun 1937—1986 / Caring hands.