Moravian BrethrenPrint Page
Memorial commemorates the Moravian Brethren who first erected the church.
The Moravian Church, also known as the Church of the United Brethren, originated in central Europe in the fifteenth century. The Church was essentially a missionary fellowship and the first Moravian missionaries were sent to Australia at the invitation of authorities in New South Wales, South Australia and Victoria in October 1849.
These Moravian Brethren were evangelical and pietistic in attitude and were very mission-minded, both by practising mission-work and by supporting missions. Some members arrived in the mid 1850s and settled at first near Light Pass. Pastor C.S.D Schondorf was sent from Herrnhut to be their Pastor and he soon found and purchased some land west of Kapunda for his members. The congregation was organized on 1 March 1857 and surnames of the foundation members included Arnold, Goedecke, Gruhl, Hombsch, John, Kirsch, Kornetzky and Linke.
|Address:||Church Road, Lutheran Church , Bethel , 5373|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.331854|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1857|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1857|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1964|